A CT SCAN – sometimes called a CAT scan – is a test that can help your doctor diagnose and treat specific medical conditions. It combines specialized x-ray equipment with computer technology to generate cross-sectional images of the inside of the body. These images show your bones, soft tissue, and blood vessels with more clarity and detail than normal x-rays.
CT Scanning of the sinuses is used to:
• Help diagnose and manage chronic or recurrent acute sinusitis.
• Detect inflammation or infection, including deep areas that might be missed by nasal endoscopy or x-ray.
• Evaluate sinuses that have thickened sinus membranes or are filled with fluid.
• Assist with surgery by defining the precise structure of your sinuses and nasal cavity.
• Detect structural abnormalities in the sinuses that may be causing your symptoms, such as a deviated septum, nasal polyps, tumors, or other growths.
ENT Associates Scanning Technology:
ENT Associates uses scanners with cone beam computed tomography (CBCT). CBCT is an imaging technique where the x-rays form a cone. It is a smaller and faster version of a regular CT scanner. Our cone beam scanner delivers 3-D images of your sinuses and temporal bones that allows more precise diagnosis and treatment planning for your sinus problems.
The benefits of CBCT scans:
• Lower dose of radiation (1/10th the radiation of conventional scanners)
• Fast, easy, comfortable, outpatient setting
• Upright, open design minimizes claustrophobia
• Accurate, high-resolution images
• Painless and noninvasive
• Safe for implanted medical devices
• No special preparations required
CT Scan Office Locations:
St. Petersburg (MLK)